Album of The Week: Blu and Exile "Below The Heavens"


I heard about this cd about late last year. All the heads on Sohh.com were bragging about how great of an album this was. Usually the niggas on Sohh.com are either too much into the music to give a decent reveiw or they don't really listen enough to give a good review. With that being said, fuck "The Cool" this shit was album of the year, I really need to change my chart.
Now Exile has been around for sometime, I've heard about doing doing a beat battle at Beat Society (speaking of beat battles, I got some shit to tell you guys) and he did the infamous "Pearly Gates" song for Mobb Deep (best song on that garbage ass cd). Blu on the other hand is a rapper from Cali. Normally I wouldn't fuck with it because dudes on the West Coast don't really appeal to me and its not because they are from the west coast, its usually in the flow, choice of beats, and delivery. But I heard him rap like once and I thought he was cool, but I really didn't pay attention.
Dude is a beast! His flow is kinda like Lupe on "The Instrumental". Throughout the whole cd as I was paying attention to his words I was just like, "Wow", "Damn", and (insert "oooohhhhh shit" face), especially on the introduction "My World". Don't even get me started on Exile's beats. If you like "Pearly Gates" then pop in this cd and sit back and kick it. All of the beats are diverse (I know samples for two of them, I sampled them before) and the drums are so so crisp. Niggas always talk about how hip hop is dead. Well if you believe that shit you havent heard this shit. This shit got me more excited than sir Jay Electronica and you mofos know how excited I am about him. With that said go cop "Below The Heavens" by Blu and Exile and keep real hip hop alive or grown folks hip hop rather.

0 comments: