"I Ain't Coming At Ya, Quote Un-Quote Famous Rapper"

I was reading my homie, Stevie's blog yesterday and it got me to thinking about rappers lyrics. So I found myself today trying to figure out what exactly makes a lyricist. To me a lyricist is a person that if you read the rhymes, you'd love it the same way as if you heard the rhyme.

Which brings me to another topic, overrated rappers. Are you niggas telling me that if you read someone like Tupac or Lil Wayne's rhymes you'd like them just like you heard them? The words are suppose to stand on their own but alot of rappers words don't. I love Jay-Z but I'm not giving dude lyricist status, don't trip I'm not saying he's weak either. I'm just saying there is a huge difference between rappers and lyricist.

1 comments:

Stevie said...

Im glad I could get you thinking lol. To me a lyricist doesnt have to be a rapper. Seems like people only associate lyricism with rap because rap is more like poetry than rock is. But to me a lyricist is someone who can articulate an emotion and be able to make the listener feel the words as if they were living them. Big words dont make a lyricist, but they cant hurt either.