Artist of The Week: Madlib


Madlib, Madlib, Madlib
He's actually the reason I make beats today, well not make beats but he had a HEAVY influence on what the machine I picked.
I remember when I first heard about Madlib it was in a Scratch Magazine article. After reading the article, I quickly went out and bought The Further Adventures of Lord Quas. I bumped that shit on the regular (can't do it so much, my disc is scratched now; isn't that ironic?).
I had knowledge of him before that article though because I went and bought Madvillany. After finding out he produced it, my favorite joint on there "Raid", I really wanted to know more about him. In the article he said that he used a Boss Sp 303 to make most of the beats. I was like damn, I wanna be like this guy.
Now lets not forget, I'm a total Wu-Stan. So when I heard that shit he did with Ghostface, the "Block Rocks" joint, I went nuts. I'm still trying to figure out what is he sampling. Which will bring me to another point I will make in another blog. But Madlib, that dude, don't forget, loop digga. He even outshined, J Dilla on the beats on the Jaylib joint in my opinion (Dilla got him on rhymes though). He just flips so many styles and it seems like he's not even trying. He even laced Erykah Badu something terrible. God. Madlib, top 10 producer, fuck your favorite.

0 comments: