What I Think: Charles Hamilton vs Soulja Boy?

I'm not sure if ya'll saw this but apparently Charles Hamilton and Soulja Boy are in a little disagreement (I refused to call this beef). According to Sir Charles, Soulja Boy is the reason why artist that are using the internet for its main promotion such as Kid Cudi, Mickey Facts, Cory Gunz, and himself, are being taken as a joke. But according to Soulja Boy, its not his fault.
What do I think? They both are right.

I understand where Charles is coming from. Hes basically saying that every new artist that tries to come up through the internet is now gonna be compared to Soulja Boy and not taken seriously. Why? Cause Soulja Boy did that shit the best. I mean, I hate his music, but like Charles said, dude did have a mean marketing plan. When your truely an artist in this shit we call hip hop now, its harder to get on for you. But when your not an artist and you just need some dough real quick, its kinda easy.

Look at it like this. Charles Hamilton was barely known on the internet until that video of him freestyling with The Game and Kanye West surfaced. Then you have the Hamitonization process and him being on the cover of Freshmen 10. Soulja Boy on the other hand, was known on the internet when he was coming up. Why? That marketing plan! I remember seeing a video of him rapping "Crank Dat" like a year before it even got played on the radio.

Now in Soulja Boy's defense (I never thought I'd defend the lil dude) its not his fault that Charles can't be taken serious. Soulja Boy's right, maybe he should try something different. Not musically, but try getting into the game a different route. I mean he already does have a record deal. But I remember watching "Crank Dat" and telling E-Rich that Soulja Boy sucked balls and would never pop off. Boy, I was wrong.

In a time where music doesn't really matter to the younger generation, true artist will always suffer on the mainstream level. So what am I suggesting Charles to do? Go independent. Think about it. He has already gotten the biggest amount of buzz he's going to get (I could be wrong). I'm pretty sure that the people who has all of his mixtapes would cop an album. Tell Jimmy peace and go start your own indy label. Sure you probably won't go platinum but I'd rather not go platinum on an independant then a major.

When it all boils down to it, comparisions shouldn't be mad. Charles Hamilton makes Charles Hamiton music and Soulja Boy makes Soulja Boy music. Truthfully speaking though, there are a couple Charles Hamiton songs I wouldnt mind hearing in the club (Especially "Starchasers" so take that Soulja Boy!). But when you only make club music you never get taken seriously (take that again, Soulja Boy).

It maybe better for Charles not to be taken seriously by the mainstream. I'm scared he'll go pop on me (Kanye West, anyone?). For a fan like me, I rather him not get sucked up into the mainstream and lose his integrity. He could have a better impact if he remains underground (MF DOOM, anyone?).

So what do you guys think? Soulja Boy or Charles?

PS: I just heard that "Head Shots (freestyle)" by Soulja Boy. Not a better way to ether your career than try to battle someone that everyone knows can rhyme better than you. I'm just waiting on Charles' "unholy ether".

4 comments:

N.I.K.E. said...

Imma Gehead [Go Ahead] And Say This, Chuck Hamilton Make Me Depressed On Somd Depeche Mode, Deftones Shit. Yet He's Not A But Rapper [Even Though I Really Would Like To Like It, Lyrically On Like, A Jay Or Biggie Standpoint]

Soulja Boy Should Appear Any Near Your Site Or My Site [Or Anybodys' Site] Ever Again!!

Marketing Plan Or Not, This Dude Is A Coon!! Point Blank. [Shout Out To The Slave Masters For The Ice Ands Tattoos]

In My Opinion, Real Artist That Are Being Slept On Heavy [A Lot] Is Only Because Hip Hop Is Dead. [Yeah, I Said It.] Phonte [Little Brother] Said It The Most Clear I've Ever Heard It,

"Tryna Get Into The Rap Game Is Like Getting A Rape Victim To Trust You"

Shit Aint Never Gon' Change Unless Ppl Want It To Change [And As Black Folks Do, Even With A Black Prez, Niggas Is Lazy And The Niggas That's Tryna Do Somethings Is Being Hated On Dumb Heavy [Hard And Unescessary] Because They Got The Yeas [Balls] To Do Something...

P.S. Your New Blog Layout Is Soo Poppin' In The Streets [Nice]

N.I.K.E. said...

Just To Correct The Misprints:

Soulja Boy Should "NEVER" Appear On Anybody's Blog.

Chuck [Charles] Hamilton Make Me Depressed.

DKNY OH MY IM JIGGY said...

i think they're beef is over hyped and corny. i still see soulja boy as 12 and Charles hamilton as older than that (dont have a number)

Soulja boy is too old to be doing the shit he doing and guess what....he wont make it another 2 or 3 years in the music industry. I wish charles all the best and i dont know if he'll even last another 2 or three years. hip hop has gone gay.....

Danielle said...

I'm so tired of rap beef. It's all for publicity in my opinion. In fact, I'm thinking about starting beef with you so my blog can get more hits. LOL.