Witness My Growth: Part 1 In The Begining (Sort Of)

Well today and hopefully every Friday night from here on out will be my beat drop series I'm calling "Witness My Growth". This is basically a series in which I am planning to display my artistic growth by dropping every piece of music I have done starting from the beginning.

Today we will start from sometime in 2005, I’m sorry I can’t tell you exactly when. I think its summer though because I didn’t get the drum machine until September.

But basically I made all of these beats on a video game called Digital Hitz Factory, it was like an upgrade to The MTV Music Generator series. It was the only thing a 15 year old could afford (I started making beats when I was 15, didn’t learn to record anything until I was 16). So what I did was go to the library and got a bunch of cds (still owe late fees from them shits) and started sampling.

I recorded these by my friend Kadeems house cause I couldn’t afford a computer at the time. So I have 2 disk that he gave me with these joints on them.

I laugh when I hear these joints now. This shit is like memory lane for me. I remember I borrowed that Jimi Hendrix cd from the library (one of the cds I still owe money for) and I believe the song is called Angel. I liked it so I sampled it on a beat I named "Angel" after it.At the time I thought it was dope as hell. Not so much now. "Can’t Get Enough" was from a Barry White song, I had to speed that shit alllllllll the way up. My first chops sucked as you can tell on “Don’t Leave Me” which is my first attempt at horrorcore. I made up for it in "Love Is" I think thats an ok chop with some digital shit behind it. One of my first vocal samples is in “Nobody Does It Better”, I think that came from a James Bond soundtrack (which I owe money for too).

I’m not even gonna front (and don’t want ya’ll to either) but that "On The Grind" beat is still kinda hot to me. Like if I knew how to eq and all that other shit, it would be pretty aight. And I didn’t use no samples in that shit! I think that was the first beat my friends liked of mine (we never recorded to it though). I forgot what I sampled for “Youngblood” but that was ok I guess. I mean it was ok for the time period, I sure do wish someone taught me how to mix at that age though these shits are horrible.Grimey is a failed attempted at another horror core sound but non sample. I can’t wait to figure out when I learned to do drum programming cause in all of these beats my drums suck (except “On The Grind”) But in reality it was all in fun and I thought I was the dopest lol.

I have beats before these too, just gotta see if E-Rich still got them on his memory card.

Don't worry guys things will get interesting the futher we get into the series.

So here is the first beat drop "First Beat CD". Tracklisting is

1.) Angel
2.) Old Beat 1
3.) Can't Get Enough
4.) Old Beat 2
5.) Old Beat 3
6.) Love Is
7.) Don't Leave Me
8.) Nobody Does It Better
9.) On Da Grind
10.) Old Beat 4
11.) Youngblood
12.) Grimey

Get it here

3 comments:

Gallardo Bastardo said...

Man, honestly, your beats were ugly as shit back then. I would wanna tell you, but you'd be so into it I'd just be like "fuck it, nevermind". Kadeem, on the other hand, wasn't so cool.

Unknown said...

I know right? I'm glad they still don't sound like that.

DKNY OH MY IM JIGGY said...

Lmao i forgot what i was going to say after i read E-Rich's Comment